What can I say…2013 is just around the corner and Life in the Element is still running strong 🙂 Here are some updates that have taken place just before the New Year. First of all, I am happy to say that I finally got around to getting my windows tinted. I took my Element to Ice Tech Window Tint in North Creek; paid $150 and got all of my windows tinted. These guys did a nice job for the price of $150 compared to other places I called that were wanting $400.
In regards to the cold weather, many people have been asking me how I keep warm at night? In response, I tell them its not cold when you got a zero degree down sleeping bag. The new sleeping bag has been performing awesome by keeping me toasty warm at night.
As of today, I decide to get rid of my storage unit that I have been holding some of my extra belongings. When I first started; Life in the Element on August 13th, I rented a storage unit to keep my stuff that I couldn’t fit into the Element. Throughout the months, I found myself rarely going back to the storage unit to grab my extra belongings. So I thought to myself, why should I continue to waste $80 for a storage unit when all that I need is right in the Element.
As of tomorrow, my goal is to get rid of everything in my storage unit and simply live off what I carry in my Honda Element. The longer I have lived in my Element, the more I realized that I don’t need much in order to survive from day to day. So today, I made a couple of trips to Goodwill to donate the rest of my belongings 🙂
Maintenance update: No more check engine light resetting 🙂 I was so tired of resetting my check engine light to the Element that it started to get on nerves. So I finally decided to spend the money and fix my Element. After spending about $1500 in maintenance fees, this is what I ended up fixing and changing:
1. Replaced head-gasket
2. Replaced front main seal
3. Replaced all 16 valves (8-intake/8-exhaust)
4. Performed a valve grind and resurface
5. Performed engine assembly lube and valve adjustment
Long story short, earlier this year I was having problems with my Element having a misfire in cylinder 3. I ended up finding out that cylinder 3 was running at 40 psi compression, where the rest of the cylinders were running at 180 psi compression. So I basically ended up rebuilding the top end of my motor to correct the problem. No more check engine light. As a result of fixing my Element, my mpg has gotten better and idling has returned to a smooth running idle.